Murrell, Inc., REALTORS
MURRELL, INC., REALTORS
2816 KEITH ST
MARLOW HEIGHTS, MD 20748
Office: (301)423-6834 ext: 300
Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.
- H shaped, steel structural piece.
- Metal clip that holds adjacent edges of plywood in alignment.
- Habendum Clause
- The "to have and to hold" clause that defines or limits the quantity of the estate granted in the deed. Declares whether the type of ownership conveyed is fee simple, a life estate, or something different.
- Stacking brick to fire in a kiln.
- Wide, shallow saw frame that's shaped like an inverted U with a fine-tooth blade across the ends of the U and a handle on the other end and is used to cut metal.
- Knife or chisel handle.
- Half Bat
- Half a brick.
- A half-bath containing only a toilet and a sink, which does not have a bathtub or shower. A powder room is normally a half-bath.
- Half By
- Lumber ½ inch thick.
- Half-lap Dovetail Joint
- Dovetail joint with half of the thickness of each part cut down so that the surfaces of both are even when joined together.
- Half-lap Joint
- Lap joint with half of the thickness of each part cut down so that the surfaces of each are even when joined together.
- The period of time required for the disintegration of half of the atoms in a sample of a specific radioactive substance.
- Half Round
- Molding which resembles a cylinder cut in half.
- Half Round File
- File with one flat side and one side a curved half-section, lengthwise of a cylinder.
- Half Section
- View of a section of an object that is taken halfway through with the other half depicted from the exterior, showing the object with half cut away, showing the inside.
- Construction style that leaves large boards exposed on the outside walls with the wall surface between them covered with stucco or another similar material.
- Any of five nonmetallic chemical elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, astatine and iodine. Chlorine is used as a bleach and disinfectant. Bromine is used in dyes and for flame-proofing. The Fluorocarbon form of fluorine is used as a lubricant, refrigerant and in fire extinguishers.
- A tool for pounding which is a metal head fastened across one end of a hand with one end of the head may be a pronged claw for pulling nails, as in a carpenter's handle.
- Hammer Fracture
- Overdriving a nail to cause a tear in the gypsum wallboard paper.
- Hand Drill
- Drill, which is manually driven by a turning crank that rotates the drill bit faster than the crank, turns.
- Hand Float
- Smoother for wet concrete or plaster made of a flat wooden board with a one-hand grip that levels the surface.
- Hand Screw
- Clamp, which is adjusted and held together with two screws.
- Hand Tool
- Manual rather than power driven too.
- Waist high railing which runs parallel to the staircase stringers, to be used as a support while using the stairs.
- Manually powered wood saw.
- Handy Box
- Also called a gang box, this small, steel or plastic box is used to mount outlets or electrical switches in walls or for joining conduit or cable.
- Handyman's Special
- House in fixer-upper condition. Home that can be bought cheaply because it is in poor condition.
- Upper set of kitchen cabinets.
- Hanging Scaffold
- Platform, which is suspended by cables, which operate with either manual cranks or electric motors, is used to provide access for work on the exterior of multistory buildings.
- The balance of a loan, with a leased property as collateral, that extends beyond the expiration date of the lease.