Murrell, Inc., REALTORS
MURRELL, INC., REALTORS
2816 KEITH ST
MARLOW HEIGHTS, MD 20748
Office: (301)423-6834 ext: 300
Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.
- A toothed wheel or disk, which is designed to mesh with another by interlocking.
- System of two or more gears meshed together so that the motion of one is passed to the others.
- Chain driven mechanism that transmits motion and power when it turns.
- Gear Ratio
- The proportional relationship of two different sized gears that are in contact with each other.
- Gear Train
- Series of gears that can be meshed together in different combinations to change the mechanical advantage between the input and output shafts.
- The enclosure that surrounds the gear train.
- Mechanism in a vehicle that selects the gears in the transmission.
- A gear.
- Top coat of resin when forming a fiberglass shape. The resin is applied in a layering of fiberglass mat and resin in a mold.
- Gel Coat
- Final finish, which is used on many plastic fixtures since it can be easily repaired when it is scratched.
- Growing Equity Mortgage - a mortgage loan in which the payment is increased by a specific amount each year, with the additional payment amount applied to principal retirement. As a result of the added principal retirement, the maturity of the loan is significantly shorter than a comparable level-payment mortgage.
- General Contractor
- Contractor who assumes responsibility for completing a construction project, under contract to the owner, and hires, supervises and pays all subcontractors.
- General Lien
- A lien that includes all of the property owned by the debtor, rather than a specific property and may be obtained either through a judgment lien, where the court issues a judgment, a lien by creditors on an estate, or through federal and state tax liens.
- General Partner
- The managing partner of a limited partnership who is in charge of its operations and has unlimited liability. All partners in an ordinary partnership are general partners. A limited partnership must have one general partner.
- General Purpose Circuit
- Electric circuit supplying a number of outlets for lighting or appliances.
- General Warranty Deed
- A deed in which the grantor agrees to protect the grantee against any other claim to title of the property. The covenants assure good title, freedom from encumbrances and quiet enjoyment.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Set of rules considered standard and acceptable by Certified Public Accountants.
- Machine for producing gas or steam.
- Machine whose conductor moves through a magnetic field and converts mechanical energy into electrical energy when the device is rotated.
- A dynamo.
- The rehabilitation of low-income housing into higher income housing, which results in the displacement of lower-income residents and generally occurs when an older neighborhood is revitalized.
- Geodesic Dome
- Round structure constructed of lightweight bars forming a grid of polygons.
- Geodetic Survey
- Survey that takes into consideration the curve of the earth.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- A computer mapping program where land characteristics and/or demographic information are color coded and often overlaid. The purpose is to determine locations of certain activity.
- Science dealing with the surface of the earth, its division into continents and countries, along with the climate, animals, plants, inhabitants, resources and industries of the various places.
- The magnetic properties of the earth.
- Branch of mathematics dealing with points, lines, surfaces and solids to examine their properties, measurements and mutual relations in space.
- Georgian Style
- Popular 18th century style featuring a symmetrical façade, a prominent front entrance and quoins (decorative blocks of masonry or wood which are set in the corners of the house). This classic style has two to three stories.
- Plaster surface that has been prepared for painting by being coated with glue or another type of material.
- A spring from which columns of boiling water and steam gush into the air at intervals.
- A ground fault circuit interrupter is a safety device to protect against electrical shock by cutting off the flow of electricity when there is even a slight stray of current leakage.
- Shadowy appearance, which shows as a defect on the surface of paint.